The Gig An Overview
Every year, truth® hires some outgoing people (ahem, like you) to hit the road on tours like Vans Warped Tour: http://goo.gl/bkVj5 and Uproar Festival while also dropping in on the hottest gaming, sports and music tours across the nation. In a sentence? You represent truth® with the coolest, most challenging but rewarding spring/summer/fall job ever. Get ready to dance, laugh, play games, and push yourself while giving out some Big Tobacco facts and encouragement along the way. Meet these requirements? You’re half way there.
Participants must be:
- 21 years of age or older.
- Able to travel from April through December.
- Able to get along with others.
- Comfortable in front of a crowd.
- Entertaining and passionate about issues you believe in
- Can problem solve and think on your feet
- Can endure a little heavy lifting
- …And can stomach the idea of living on the road for months on end, working long, hot days, all in the name of sharing lifesaving information about the harmful effects of tobacco use and the manipulative marketing practices of the industry
And yes, if you are selected, you will get paid. Signing bonus? Eh, no. But you’ll also get to wear some new truth gear and will be provided full board and accommodations on a tour bus (or in a hotel during off days). And your employer will be a great company called Encore.
So What Is Truth?
truth® is a quality provider of facts and information. It’s about having all the information you need to make your own choices. It’s about taking control and not becoming just another faceless dollar in the eyes of the big tobacco corporations. It’s about five letters long and two of them are the same. You know this already, or you wouldn’t be here. Check out thetruth.com for more.
The Process How To Apply
To become a truth® Crew Member (aka truth Rider) mark these dates on your calendar. Or with a marker on your arm. Or somewhere. 1) Video Diary/Questionnaire Submission Deadline March 1*, 3PM EST. 2) Selection Interviews** in New York, NY April 2-3.
* We loved the first batch so much that we want to see more! If you've already submitted, you may hear from us soon!
** You provide your own lodging and transportation for the trip. Additional details provided by email.
So what should you do right now? Get started creating your video.
- Plan for the whole video process to take no more than one (1) hour.
- Be sure the finished video is entertaining, but not exceeding three (3) minutes.
- Post it on a video hosting site like Vimeo or YouTube.
- Then, submit it below with the rest of the questionnaire.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis so early submission is ENCOURAGED. Notice the all caps there for effect? Yeah. What are we looking for in this video? Keep reading.
The Video Tell Us About Yourself
Aside from being yourself, here are a few tips to make this assignment a little easier: Plan what you’re going to say/do. Think about your passions. Embrace your inner weirdo. Then film it. Stay in the center of the screen (unless you’re showing off some skills). Speak loudly. Avoid background noise. Mistakes are cool, we’re human too. We don’t expect it to look Hollywood. And most importantly, BE CREATIVE.
Unique skills we wanna know about:
- Bilingual speakers.
- Gaming stars or comic book wizards.
- Theatre/acting stars, comedians, or role-playing enthusiasts.
- Photographers, videographers, street artists, budding directors.
- Athletes, actors, musicians, DJs, journalists, writers.
- Fashionistas, DIY Gurus, or people with the ability to grant magical wishes.
If you want to avoid having your submission disqualified, here are three simple rules. Don’t be inappropriate. Don’t use profanity. Don’t be offensive. You are applying for a job, right? While we don’t want to censor creativity, we don’t need to see anyone naked or listen to f-bombs either.
- Includes you naked, any of your friends naked, or anything naked in sight of the camera.
- Is anything bleeped on TV. We wanna assume you kiss your mother with that mouth.
- Is, well … if you’re right for the job we don’t have to tell you. Just keep it clean, okay?
We’re sure you don’t need any help in showing off yourself in a creative way. And you definitely do not have to answer these questions. But if you get stuck, they could be used as content to get you started. For bigger questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What three words best describe your personality/style?
- Who inspires you (real or fictitious)? How and/or why?
- Show us something that describes who you are. How does it fit you?
- What does originality mean to you?
- Are you original? Why?
- How would you describe diversity?
- What do you do to stay ahead of the curve or different than everyone else?
- What brands are your favorites and why?
- What skills or talents do you have that you like to show off? Give us 20 seconds.
- What are your greatest passions? Why?